A musty odor in your basement can spread to other areas of your home. Furniture, clothes, carpets, and more can absorb and retain a musty smell. The smell can make your home unpleasant to live in or invite guests over.
This musty smell may mean you have mold. The odor is typically caused by mildew or mold. In addition to the smell, it can also lead to damage to your home and health issues.
Follow these steps to help prevent mold growth and a musty odor in your basement:
Check for condensation and water leaks.
If you discover a water leak, stop it immediately to prevent water damage to your house and belongings. If the pipes in your basement show signs of condensation, wrap them with insulation to reduce the moisture that contributes to musty odors.
Dry out your basement.
Use dehumidifiers to remove moisture from the air in your basement.
Clean the air.
Once you’ve identified and addressed any sources of moisture, cleaned, and dried the areas affected, freshen the air. Keep air circulating and use products like baking soda to absorb any lingering musty smell. Baking soda can maintain absorbency for up to 3 months, depending on the strength of the odor.
If you smell mold in your home, contact your local mold remediation experts at ServiceMaster by Griffing. Our team will take air samples, and if mold is detected, create a plan for removal of harmful mold. Our comprehensive services will help get your property back to a clean, healthy household. Call us today to schedule your mold inspection at 1-800-253-7366.