Happy National Grilling Month! Summer is a time for family barbecues and parties. Use caution with any outdoor fire this summer to prevent an injury or fire at your party.
July is the peak month for grill fires according to the National Fire Prevention Association (NFPA). On average, 10,200 home fires are started by grills each year. Use these tips from the NFPA for a safe grilling season:
- Propane and charcoal BBQ grills should only be used outdoors.
- Place the grill well away from your home, deck, and out from under eaves and tree branches.
- Keep children and pets at least 3 feet away from the grill area.
- Never leave your grill unattended.
- Keep it clean by removing grease or fat buildup from the grills and trays below the grill.
- Always make sure your gas grill lid is open before lighting it.
- For propane grills, check your tank for leaks before using it. Watch the simple way to test your tank, click here.
- For charcoal grills, when you are finished grilling, let the coals cool completely before disposing in a metal container.
Download the grilling safety fact sheet, here.
ServiceMaster by Griffing serves customers throughout the summer who have unfortunately experienced a fire due to cooking and grilling. After the fire is out, our trained professionals assess the damage, and get to work salvaging as many possessions as possible. Contact our fire damage experts at 1-800-253-7366. ServiceMaster by Griffing stands ready to be of service 24/7/365.